Hello Girls Lightning Families,
Welcome back to the returning families, and welcome to MYL for the new families. My name is Scott Kaminski, and along with Michele D'Ambrosio-Shannon, and Karen Thompson, we will be coaching the Lightning team this year. Formally, our team name is Lightning 3/4 Orange, and our team page is HERE. This is where you will find all of our team information and schedule. I will be handling the team messaging, so combined with my messages to all of the girls teams as the MYL Girls Coordinator, you will be getting a lot of emails from me before the season starts. Once the season starts, I don’t really email the entire league as much. My emails also tend to be a little lengthy, so I apologize in advance.
Before I get into specifics of our team/season, here are three quick things:
1. We have 4 more pre-season indoor sessions at Erin’s Gym (2275 Main Street, Stratford). They are all Mondays in March, from 5:30-6:30. These are not mandatory, but highly recommended if you can make it.
2. MYL is marching in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade on March 14th.
3. We will have a clinic for all of the girls teams at the University of New Haven, on March 28th. Our girls will be on the field with UNH players as they bring them through different drills. We do not yet have an exact time, but when we have done it in the past, it started around 8:30-9:00. I will update everyone once we solidify the time.
Start of the Season
Once we are given permission by the city of Milford to get onto the fields, we will begin practicing. We are hoping to get that permission for the first week of April, but we have to wait and see.
Before the girls can start practicing during the season, you will need to print out and complete the MYL Code of Conduct and MYL Medical Release forms. To be clear: If a girl arrives at the first outdoor practice without these two documents (or they were not already given to us at an indoor session), she will not practice.
In addition to having a stick, all players are required to wear goggles and a mouthguard. Detailed information is HERE. Girls also have the option to wear headgear (it is not mandatory). There are only two approved models, and more information about headgear(including a 2 minute video) can be found HERE. Diagrams are located HERE.
Orange Avenue Turf Field #2 (back field) – 577 Orange Avenue
Christ The Redeemer Church (grass field) – 325 Oronoque Road
NO DOGS are allowed at either field/complex. This becomes a minor issue every year, so please do not bring dogs to the field. Christ the Redeemer Church also requests that no children climb any of the trees on the property.
Our outdoor practices will be on Tuesdays and Fridays, from 5:30 to 6:45. Please arrive a little early, so that the girls can get their equipment on and be ready to start at 5:30. If no game is scheduled on the turf, then Tuesday practices will be at the turf, otherwise CTR. All Friday practices will be at CTR. If we have weekday games, then the practice schedule may need to be modified. So, I will send an email out on Sunday night or Monday morning with the schedule for that upcoming week.
Most of our games/jamborees have been added to the schedule on our team page - A few more may get added. All games are posted by starting time. We would like all players to arrive early enough, so that they are ready to start warming up 30 minutes before the starting time. For example, if the game starts at 1:00, we will start warming up at 12:30, so please arrive a little before 12:30. Games consist of two, 25 minute halves, with a five minute half time.
Learn The Game
- US Lacrosse – Lightning (10U) is pages 18-27 of the 2020 Youth Girls Rulebook HERE
- CONNY – These two rules supersede the USL rules, when playing teams who are also a part of CONNY: 1) A draw is done after every goal, 2) THREE consecutive passes need to be attempted (not caught) before shooting on goal.
- US Lacrosse's "Girls Game Overview" for Parents Website HERE
Please have your daughter watch these short, basic videos on proper technique for scooping groundballs, cradling, throwing, and catching.
Coach Michelle, Coach Karen, and I are anxiously awaiting the start of the season. As we get more information, we will send it out. In the meantime, please send me any questions or concerns that you have.